For 30 years, the Red Balloon Children Helping Children Tennis Tournament has brought together youth tennis players, community supporters and grateful patient families to raise monies to impact pediatric cancer research and programs at Children’s Health.
Pediatric cancer is not going away and neither is our fight to find cures for pediatric cancers. Unfortunately, current health considerations surrounding COVID-19 make it impossible to deliver a high-quality tennis tournament experience while guaranteeing the safety of our youth tennis players, volunteers and staff. We are left with no responsible choice but to reimagine the 2020 Red Balloon Children Helping Children Tennis Tournament as a virtual fundraising event.
So welcome to the reimagined 2020 Red Balloon Children Helping Children Tennis Tournament!
We are embracing and celebrating 30 years of this event and hope that you will join us in our journey. We are planning activities that you can play for each of the 30 days of September, Childhood Cancer Awareness Month, and to celebrate the 30th anniversary of this event. We are also planning to continue the online auction for supporters to bid on one-of-a-kind experiences, restaurant gift cards, tennis apparel and more.
Right now, amid the pandemic and economic chaos, we need your support more than ever, yes to battle pediatric cancers but also to nurture the community that has been built by this tournament over the past 30 years. Despite the constraints on our physical gatherings, this September we can still demonstrate what people of common cause can do-with body, heart and soul-to sustain the fight against pediatric cancer. Let's harness our collective physical, mental, emotional and spiritual energy, converting it into a meaningful, shared experience.
Thank you for continuing to carry the torch, or racket in this instance. Together we can shine a light on the 30th anniversary of the Red Balloon Children Helping Children Tennis Tournament and make it another proud chapter in our history.
Although the Red Balloon Children Helping Children Tennis Tournament cannot take place in-person this year because of COVID-19 restrictions, we invite you to participate in some fun activities to keep your mind and body active and to celebrate the 30th anniversary of the tennis tournament.
- Hit a tennis ball against the backboard 30+ times in a row and challenge yourself throughout the month to increase this number with each opportunity. (For more of a challenge try to alternate forehand and backhand shots).
- Bounce a tennis ball on the strings of your racquet 30+ times.
- Bounce a tennis ball between the ground and your racquet 30+ times
- Bounce a tennis ball on the rim of your racquet as many time as you can (try to work up to at least 30).
- Jump back and forth over your tennis racket 30 times.
- Play a friendly game of tennis with your family or one friend
- Start a rally with a family member and see how many times you can hit the ball back and forth. Try to beat that number the next time you try this activity
- Add colored chalk dust to your tennis ball and try to hit in the same general area for your serve each time.
- Practice your serve by putting cans of tennis balls on the opposite side of the tennis court and see if you can hit the knock the cans over with your serve.
- “Run lines” on the tennis court to warm up your body and as an extra challenge, hold your tennis racquet in front of you and balance a tennis ball on top while you walk or run the lines.
See if you can come up with 30 activities to celebrate 30 years. Be sure to share on social media using #IChooseChildrens and tag @childrens!
Join the Auction
The online auction is aligned with the annual tennis tournament with proceeds benefiting Children's Health. The auction includes items like concert tickets, spa treatments and restaurant gift certificates. Check back soon for more information about the 2020 auction.
Prizes are available for fundraisers who reach certain milestones:
- Raise $125+ you qualify for a survival kit bag filled with coupons and prizes
- Raise $300+ You qualify for a pair of tennis shoes, selected from High Point Park Tennis Center, plus the other prizes listed above
- Raise $700+ You qualify for a tennis racquet, selected from High Point Park Tennis Center, plus the other prizes listed above
- Raise $2000+ You qualify for a week long tennis summer camp plus the other prizes listed above
The top three girl and boy fundraisers will also qualify for an additional gift card prize.To qualify for the top three girl and boy prizes, donations must be turned in by 11:59 PM on Wednesday, September 30.
About the Cause
The Sumrow family started a tradition of philanthropy in honor of their son whom was successfully treated at Children's Health for cancer.
A Taste of the Tournament
Check out some of the sights and sounds from last year's Red Balloon Children Helping Children Tennis Tournament.
If you have questions about the tournament or fundraising, review our frequently asked questions for help.
Sign up for our newsletter
To receive the latest headlines and highlights of philanthropy at Children's Health, please sign up for our monthly digital newsletter.