Contributing long-term appreciated securities, rather than selling them and donating the proceeds of the sale, is almost always to a donor’s advantage. Long-term for gifts is defined as one year and one day.
- A donor may claim the full fair market value of donated securities as a charitable deduction on his/her income tax.
- A donor will avoid paying capital gains tax on the increase in the value of the securities that are donated.
Procedures for contributing securities directly to Children’s Medical Center:
- Please contact John Mitchener at 214-456-8389.
- Let us know what is being contributed, and we will provide the instructions necessary to complete the gift.
If actual stock certificates are being used, mail the unsigned stock certificates by certified mail to:
Children’s Medical Center Foundation
2777 Stemmons Fwy., Suite 700
Dallas, Texas 75207
- Each stock must also have a signed stock power that should be mailed to the same address at the same time. Please mail the stock certificates and stock powers in separate envelopes.
- If the stock is registered in more than one name, each person must sign the stock power form. Sign only your name(s) on the stock power form and sign exactly as your name appears on the stock certificate.
- Please include a note with the stock certificates indicating the designation of your gift.