Texas Food Allergy Guidelines: New rules to make kids safer in school
May 23, 2012 - CW33 News | Barry Carpenter
Nancy Dedman has to be careful around food after being diagnosed with food allergies.
Her mom Rachael knows all too well the scary warning signs when Nancy accidentally ingests an ingredient on her no-no list.
"She starts to turn bluish gray,” Rachael said. “In our experience, and has difficulty breathing so she goes into full anaphylaxis shock."
Dr. Drew Bird is the director of the Food Allergy Center at Children's Medical Center Dallas.
Dr. Bird said Nancy isn't alone--in fact studies estimate that 2 kids in every classroom have some form of food allergy.
He helped craft the new guidelines which mandates training for school staff on food allergies, epinephrine needs to be available in an unlocked location and for each school to develop a food allergy team.
"Now the guidelines apply specifically to life threatening food allergies,” Dr. Bird said. “I think that we're seeing in the past decade, we've certainly seen an increased prevalence of those, and we don't know exactly why they're increasing in prevalence but it’s something that is very serious."
There is one thing you'll never find in Nancy's home and that is anything to do with nuts--including peanuts."
Nancy takes her EpiPen everywhere--just in case.
Rachael joined forces with other parents in Houston and Austin to push for statewide guidelines. She said some studies show that kids with food anxieties at school often have lower grades--but that's just icing on the cake with the main ingredient being a safer environment for kids.
"I definitely think a lot of parents with food allergic children will be breathing easier next fall knowing that their teachers have been trained in what to look for in an allergic reaction and how to respond if one does occur on campus," Rachael said.
Hopefully Nancy will never need her handy EpiPen.
Did you enjoy this story?
If you would like to receive an email when new stories like this one are posted to our website, please complete the form below.
We won't share your information, and you can unsubscribe any time.
Other Recommended Stories
Clay Turner thought at least one of his children would die. Mr. Turner and his wife, Lauren, were rushing from Oklahoma to Children’s Medical Center where two of their children were taken after a horrible car accident. The children were with their grandparents when the accident occurred. On their way to Dallas, Mr. and Mrs. ...
Theresa Cain has let her daughter, Iyana Jones, use colored pencils “since she was old enough to hold them.” It made quite a difference; the girl is a talented artist. “I just want her to be successful,” her mother said. The 15-year-old is a bright student at Skyline High School, a brave patient at Children’s ...
Boots Van is a hugely popular pet therapy dog at Children’s Medical Center Dallas, so it is great luck that his brother is now here, too. Boots is from the same litter as Van, a litter in which the pups were named after shoes. Boots, a pure-bred golden retriever, took up work at Children’s in October. He spends his work ...